Friday, August 21, 2009

Which free anti-virus is better for PREVENTION: Avast or Antivir?

I have fairly tight security already. I use Comodo firewall which is highly rated. I'm already 100% virus %26 spyware free %26 to keep it that way I'm using Faronics Deep Freeze (which freezes my C: drive) %26 in case that is compromised I'm backed-up with Acronis True Image which can fully restore the C: drive within 20 minutes. What I'm more interested in a free antivirus... I repeat FREE!!!!!... don't suggest I pay money... is that it will give better PROTECTION from getting the virus in the first place, in order to protect my personal files on the other drives. With this software normally if I did get any virus the moment I reboot, hey presto.. gone! ;)



Now, without any doubt Antivir beats Avast hands down on scanning ability %26 on scanning AVG isn't even a contender. But on the free editions of these products Avast has more protection enabled by default, like on-line mail %26 P2P; so Im not sure whether Avast won't be better at protecting me from infection. Comments from techies pls ;)



Which free anti-virus is better for PREVENTION: Avast or Antivir?spyware remover



It's refreshing to have somebody who realize that AVG is just a not very good antivirus scanner. Avast extra protection is just a marketing tool and it took more resources from your pc to run these. Avast also can really slow down your pc during the scans too. Avira already scan everything that came into contact with your pc so that will cover all the extras protection on Avast. In anycase your firewall should protect you from p2p and everything else. There's a free scanner from AOL that is very good, Active Shield, but the thing is that it uses an older scanning engine from Kaspersky (v6) so it's won't be effective at detecting new viruses. Since you already have a software firewall (i use ZoneAlarm Pro), a hardware firewall (Router), antivirus, Image Backup (i also use Acronis TI, too) and i hope that you also have a few antispywares apps runnning on your pc, you should be fine. Remember that NO Antivirus can catch 100% of all viruses. The best antivirus can only catch around 97%---and that's the paid version of Kaspersky. Of all the free antivirus, Avira is the best right now,IMHO, since i've already tried just about all of them at one time or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment